5/05/2011

Three Things Thursday

1. Fundraising for Team Hole in the Wall: As you've probably already noticed I'm raising funds for Team Hole in the Wall (and picked Team Hole in the Wall as the charity of my choice for the New York City Marathon '11 - fingers crossed that nothing will keep me from showing that marathon who's boss...). When I came home from work yesterday, and checked my mail, there was a letter from a Dutch Stichting called Stichting Evellius, that said that they are willing to sponsor the costs of one child to go to one of the Hole in the Wall camps. I'm beyond happy because of this, and feel humled by their generosity. I can't thank them enough!

2. Playing footsie: The toes... What can I say? Well, the toes are still behaving like a naughtly little 3-year-old. Yesterday the podiatrist worked on my left 'big' toe. She squeezed some kind of fabric underneath the toenail to prevent it from growing in. If this doesn't work, she'll have to place some kind of braces on the toenail. Sounds painful. However, the toe isn't any less annoying. I have to check in with the podiatrist in 2 weeks.

The pinky toe on my other foot is somewhat less annoying. Or, it was somewhat less annoying till I accidentally popped the blister yesterday morning, and now it's back to looking like a gross pinky toe again.

And then there's the second toe on my left foot (the one next to the 'big' toe - does that make sense?): that one is truly bugging the heck out of me. When I wake up in the morning it's okay, but at night or after a run it manages to work it's way up to being 1.5 times its original size. Huh? It doesn't really hurt though, just a bit of a sore-ish feeling going on there. No clue, no clue at all. If it doesn't feel better in a week, I'll check with my GP.

3. Running shoes: My beloved Asics GT-2160's (2A width) felt heavy and bulky on last night's run. It was the first time that they felt heavy on my feet. Weird. My Asics are my go-to shoes for long runs (14+ miles / 22+K), since they have good pronation control (at least, in my opinion), and that's just what I need when I get tired at the end of a long run. Plus, they come in narrow widths and still have a large toebox. Could the 'heavy' feeling be caused by the barefoot running I've been adding to my schedule lately? And to the shorter runs I've been doing in Newtons? Do you have any recommendations on lighter shoes that have good pronation control and are narrow or come in AA width?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe in America we are more impatient but i've had my ingrown toenails treated by a podiatrist who cut a sliver of the sides of my offending toenail off so they would stop poking me. i actually just performed similar toenail surgery on myself 1/2 an hour ago...i used little, sharp pointy scissor to cut the side of one toenail off. i sterilized the scissor in rubbing alcohol. after cutting the toenail i put an antibiotic ointment on my toe and put on a band-aid. instant relief. i've even given myself toenail surgery in the woods w/ a pocket knife cleaned with dishwashing soap when i was in agony from an ingrown nail and still had three days of camping left. that incident made me a little nervous :) but i was fine!

i hope you feel better!

Running Girl said...

No suggestions on the shoes, but awesome news about the stitching group! And the toes? Ouch. Been there, and the podiatrist has also cut out the ingrow for me. Hope your toes start to heal!

Rene Smit said...

I changed to Nike LunarEclipse and I'm very happy with it!

Anonymous said...

try the Brooks Adrenaline...its naturally a lot light and more narrow than Asics and also comesin narrow. Asics and New Balance are the heaviest and widest fitting shoes (doesn't make them bad shoes, just different"

Silly Girl Running said...

Thanks, Katye! Forgot to mention that I already wear the narrow narrow 2A width of the Asics model, because they are normally pretty wide. The Brooks Adrenaline were also too wide (I wear a size 10.5 in running shoes...), but I'm not sure whether or not they are also available in 2A width...