6/13/2011

Confessions of an injured runner: I'm a wimp

I'm a wimp. No kidding.


One of the few things I am allowed to do with The Shin (not the shin that actually hurts. Nope...the shin that doesn't hurt at all and apparently has a SF...I'm a bleeping freak of nature), is cycling. And since I had already been looking for a bicycle for a couple of months now, this seemed the perfect time to get that plan going. So I did. I found Trixie last Saturday ( - yeah, I named my bike Trixie. Get over it.). [no worries, I will properly introduce her to you soon!] And went out for my first ride on Trixie yesterday (51.5K of hills) and for another ride today (48K of hills). And loved every minute of both of these rides.

However, I carefully avoided all the 'might be slippery' bits of the road today. Why? Because I'm a wimp. I'm afraid I'll crash and break something all the time (then again, apparently I don't need to actually crash to break something...). Okay...and it might have something to do with me spending several hours on YouTube last night, searching for 'how not to crash on a bicycle'. Guess what came up in the results? Correct, lots and lots of clips of crashes. After watching this one, I'm ready to wrap myself in bubble wrap.... That wouldn't be weird, right? Right?



Any advice on this one? ;) (And nope 'stop spending several hours on YouTube' won't help. ;))

5 comments:

M said...

My advice as a new cyclist is to go out and actually fall down - and realize it isn't that bad. Once the giant bruises on each hip heal, I will be fully recovered from my new cycling adventures. I'm just learning that crap happens, and I have to be careful. Being smart is a good thing - if you aren't slightly cautious that's when the accidents happen. A healthy fear seems to be a good thing to have!!!

Francisco Villegas..Marathoner/Triathlete said...

hehehe I don't really think any advices would change the fact that we all crash at least once in our lifetime :)
All I can say is just ride just like you have done before, keep your distance and maintain a safe cadence. Oh my little pretty silly girl, what did you get yourself all psyched up for? just ride....

Unknown said...

bikes are cool... where are the pictures???

Kevin said...

Practice with your clips BEFORE you actually go cycling. Darn good deal on these right now http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42883 You will fall a few times on your clips. They take some getting used to. Make sure you get a good bike fitting. It will help save your body

RunToTheFinish said...

i did not watch the video because I already have a ton of fear about bicycling accidents adn I've only recently started to get my ass out there