11/18/2010

The ghost of races yet to come - The 'Swiss Alpine Marathon 2011' post

What does this girl do when she's sidelined from running for a while due to a calf injury? Plan future races! Is there anything else that I could do? ;) (And yes, I know I'm cheating on Three Things Thursday... ;))
And I hope to have this precious gem in my future: the Swiss Alpine Marathon 2011 (July 30th 2011) in Davos, Switzerland. I ran the K42 marathon distance last summer and instantly fell in love with this race. When I read that registration for 2011 opens by the end of November, I started counting the days!
Fingers crossed that my body is up to it, but I plan on running the 78K ultramarathon distance on July 30th 2011. The course and crowds are amazing, and it's really something that I look forward to! Excited yet? Watch this inspirational video, and I'm pretty sure you'll be counting down the days till registration opens with me! Also, check out their website: http://www.swissalpine.ch/.


The Race
The Swiss Alpine Marathon race weekend has different distances to offer. Therefore, literally every runner and non-runner can join in the fun!
The 'big races' are held on Sunday, but there are several kids specific races on Saturday. I cheered the kids on this year and had a great time!
Summarized the Swiss Alpine Marathon offers the following distances on 'Race Sunday':
- 11.3K (elevation of 150 meters)
- 21.1K Nordic walking / Walk (elevation of 680 meters)
- 21.1K (elevation of 680 meters) - this one is specifically for runners
- 30.7K (elevation of 320 meters)
- C42.2K (elevation of 450 meters)
- K42.2K (elevation of 1890 meters) - this is the one that I ran last summer
- 78.5K (elevation of 2260 meters)
The K42 and 78K take you mainly through mountain terrain, which means that you will be running/walking (at some points the elevation is just a bit too much to handle) on mountain trails. You might need trail running shoes for this one!
The town of Davos
The days before the Swiss Alpine Marathon weekend the town of Davos (Switzerland) fills up with runners. The atmosphere is amazing, and you can truly feel this 'running buzz' buzzing around town.
It's a lovely town in the Swiss Alps. Wonderful fresh and clean air. Lots and lots of hiking opportunities. A lake to swim/sail/surf at. Too many restaurants to mention. Great swiss, high quality food. It's a modern and quite big town, so, you'll find tons of shops and all the big brands. You can definitely tell that Davos is one of the famous Swiss ski resorts.
I love Davos, and love visiting the town. The Swiss Alpine Marathon is a great excuse to visit the town in summer!
Who is joining me in the 2011 Swiss Alpine Marathon?

16 comments:

Emz said...

This sounds AMAZING! How I wish I could do this race!

planning future races - - - is the best!!

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Emz: It is an amazing race! I really do hope that you can enter it in the near future and kick my butt at it!

Johann said...

Now that is super! If only I was not that far away...dream, dream, dream...

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Johann: Well, Switzerland IS only one trip on a plane away. ;)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

wow! that looks awesome. i may be able to sell a switzerland vacation to the hubby...

Silly Girl Running said...

@ the dawn: Yay! What are you waiting for and charm him into the idea! :) Do I hear 'Blogger's Meetup'?

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I would join you in a heart beat, but the whole money thing sucks! I love planning for future races. That marathon sounds amazing, keep us updated on how your calf is doing.

Silly Girl Running said...

@ The Hungry Runner Girl: Oh, I will keep you updated. Don't worry. ;)

RunToTheFinish said...

ohhh now that sounds totally cool, hey I like excusese to travel

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

That video is amazing. Wow What a great event to take part in!

misszippy said...

That sounds heavenly! Wish I could...

Fifty K said...

Sounds like an amazing race!

Run Jess Run said...

Do you actually run across that bridge?? Holy cow, I'd lie down in the fetal position and cry!

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Amanda: This one is the best excuse to travel! :)

@ Shelly: Amazing, isn't it?

@ MissZippy: It's such an amazing experience! Really wish you could try it once; I'm sure you'd love it!

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Kirstie: It is an amazing race! :)

@ Jess: Well, only if you run the 21K race. So, if you'd just go for the 30K, full marathon or 78K, you'd be fine. ;)

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

that race looks AWESOME!
Planning future races is so much fun!! I hate that I have a budget! lol ;)