8/16/2010

Letter to my high heeled shoe collection: the 'Apparently high heels are bad for runners' post

Letter to my high heeled shoe collection

Dear Tod, Bally and Jimmy (and hopefully, in the nearby future, Coco and Manolo),

You've been good to me in the last couple of years. You brought every single one of my greyish/blackish office outfits to a new high. And I'm truly grateful for that!

You are not just plain dull high heels, no, you are fancy and a bit over the top! Red, shiny black, dotted, pink. For years I loved the feeling of stepping into you and trotting off, on my way to work/dinner/cocktails with the girls. The higher the heels, the better.

But lately, things have changed. I've been neglecting you a bit. Picked flats to wear with my outfits more often. I'm sorry. I truly feel bad. But I can explain this change. I really have a good excuse.

I picked up running. The more miles I run, the more uncomfortable high heels are to my feet. You guys don't fit my feet as you used to anymore. Also the running somehow changed the muscles in my calves, and I just can't walk in you in the light-footed way I used to. I just don't do you justice at the moment.

Dear, dear shoes, my sweet babies, you will be spending a lot more time on my shoe shelf, and a lot less time on my feet. I will display you on my shoe shelf, though, so I can look at you when I'm in bed at night. Our day will come again, you guys. It will. But not as long as I'm into this running thing...
Love, SillyGirl

Discovery News - recent studies say 'NO!'

Now don't get me wrong, I love (love love love) wearing high heels as much as the next girl. But in the last couple of months high heels just didn't feel the same on me anymore; a bit painful and uncomfortable. This has got to do with my running, I'm sure.

Also, this recent Discovery News article kind of changed my thoughts on wearing high heels and being a runner: (http://news.discovery.com/human/high-heels-legs-health.html#mkcpgn=rssnws1).

The article explains that a recent study found that wearing high heels puts extra pressure on woman's knee joints. It also found that wearing high heels changes your posture, makes your ankles to tilt inward and destabilizes them. Another study found that regularly wearing heels could make women less efficient at more flat-shoed activities, like running. OK, point taken!

So, for the time being, I'll save my high heeled babies for special occasions. The joy of running just means too much to me! :)

P.S.: If you're a. a runner, and b. still able to wear high heels, I'm very jealous. Very! ;)

9 comments:

T said...

I gave up heels cold turkey a few years back when I started dating my boyfriend - he's only about 1" taller than me, and I'm vain. My legs haven't missed them (even if I have)!

Silly Girl Running said...

@ T To make me give up high heels, that boyfriend better be absolutely gorgeous! ;)

Becka said...

I still wear them... once in a while. Not because they are less comfortable than they used to be. Because I am clumsy and I'm afraid I'll fall and hurt myself in the middle of my crazy race schedule, lol.

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Becka Hahaha! That's hilarious! I manage to fall in flats too; just like that; I'm a mess!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

That is sooo funny!

I pretty much gave up heels years ago...my hubbs is sad..very very sad.

Silly Girl Running said...

@ shellyrm The poor husbo! LOL! Just looking at those heels makes me sad, but, hey, what can I do about it? ;)

Leah B. said...

I try to stick to wedges in the summer. Not as dressy, I know. They are a little better right? ;)

RunningRonald said...

mmm.. misschien toch maar beter om er op te lopen #highheals wie weet win je straks nog de Stiletto-run :)

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Ronald Hahahahahaha! Dat zou grappig zijn! Misschien toch maar blijven oefenen! Rondjes park, als niemand me ziet...

@ Leah B. Wedges might be the way to go then; less jiggly wiggly on the ankles! :)