8/06/2010

Healthy eating: Red fish with ginger sauce and brown rice

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight?

I've been into healthy, low-fat, eating for a while now (I do make an exception for post-race food, though :) ).
From the moment I picked up running, I value healthy food even more. There's nothing worse than doing your long run the morning after a fatty foodfest; your tummy won't be your best bud at that point! Plus, healthy food tastes good! :) Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy snacks and fatty foods as much as the next girl (one word: cupcakes!)! I just try to choose wisely, don't eat too much of the non-healthy food, and try to focus on the healthy options. There's a lot of good, healthy, stuff out there!

So, tonight I'm cooking Red fish with ginger sauce and brown rice. The recipe says the usual, white, rice, but I prefer brown rice. According to the recipe it should look something like this:



Looks Jummy, huh? Now I'll have to wait and see what it will look like when I'm done preparing this...

Here's how I'm going to prepare this meal! The recipe makes enough for two adults.


What you need:

  • 2 red fish filets;

  • 2 shallots;

  • 1 clove of garlic (or 2; I love garlic... :) );

  • +/- 3cm / 1 inch of ginger root;

  • about a handful of cashewnuts (not the salted ones);

  • 1 teaspoon sambal trassi / thai chilli sauce;

  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar;

  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil;

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ketchup;

  • just a bit of lemonjuice (depends on how much you want it to taste lemony);

  • salt

  • brown rice (I always boil my rice in bouillon; I think that makes the rice taste so good);

  • veggies you love (with this recipe I go with mushrooms, spring onions and leek).

Peel the shallots and the garlic. Peel and slice the ginger. Chop the shallots, garlic, ginger root and cashew nuts up in your food processor. Add the sambal, oil, sugar, ketchup and lemonjuice and mash for a couple of seconds. Add a bit of salt and taste (personally I don't use salt, because I'm on a low-salt diet, and I think that this recipe really doesn't need it). Now you have the marinade for your fish!

Put the marinade on both sides of the fish filets and wrap them in foil. Leave in refridgerator until you're ready for dinner.

When ready, heat your oven to 225 Celsius / about 440 F and cook the fish (middle of the oven) for about 13 minutes. Check regularly to see when they're done.

Serve with the brown rice and veggies! Jummy! :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a good meal although the ketchup sounds a bit odd to me! Wouldn't think of ketchup with fish.

I'm with you on healthy eating. I've never experienced a good run the day after a big meal. Plus, eating well just enhances the great health benefits we get from running and makes us strong!

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Lisa I'll let you know how the ketchup worked out. ;) Sounds odd, have to admit that.

NY Wolve said...

That sounds awesome. I am going to cook a grilled mahi mahi with garlic tomato butter topping from Cooking Light. Good Luck, and am also curious about the ketchup...

Silly Girl Running said...

Hmmm...that grilled mahi mahi sounds great too! Going to see if I can find that recipe.

Ketchup worked out great; tastes great, not odd at all! :)

Miriam @ Sometimes Sporty said...

I'm not sure what kind of fish is red fish, but I'm still learning about fish as I try to find healthier eats.

Silly Girl Running said...

@ Miriam You could compare red fish with haddock, tastewise that is. Tasted super! :)