4/05/2012

Goofy or triple that?

So, here we go. I got a little confession to make.

That 50 miler 10 days ago? It got me hooked all over again. If I'd have it my way, I would do it all over again. Today. I want more. I'm screwed. My poor bod.

To make matters worse. I want it all. And preferably now. Not a great combo.

And I really want to give a 100 miler a try. The pain, the exhaustion, the suffering, the challenge. The vomiting, the hallucinating. I want. I want it all. And I want it bad.

See where I'm getting to?

I have some planned races for this year. One of them in particular scares the sh*t out of me. I'm registered. And training for it. But not ready to share that dream. Yet. :) Hint: it involves a heck of a lot of mountains, steep uphills, steep downhills and a 31 hour time-limit (due to highly technical trails and a 24,000 ft elevation gain). But it's not a 100 miler.

Next year (2013) I'd hope to be ready to give a 100 miler a shot. And I'd love it to be one in the good old US of A. I've been toying with the idea of Vermont 100.

But then there's the Goofy Challenge. And I love Disney. But I'm not making that trip from the Netherlands to the States twice in one year. Air fares are insane. Not to mention the fact that I don't have an unlimited supply of vacation time.

Registration for Goofy opens April 10th and I was told it's likely to sell out fast. So, I should make up my mind on this one as soon as possible.

And I suck big time at making up my mind. Lucky for me, that's where you guys come in. Please? So, help me out here and leave me your pick in the comment's section (or shoot me an email), will you? :)

Update: Air fares are insane in July (possible Vermont 100 idea). Just spotted the Virgil Crest 100 in NY in September - reasonable air fares. Still can't make up my mind, though...

11 comments:

John Hardeman said...

That's simple.
Stick to your (5-year) plan!
That is doing the Goofy Challenge. The Vermont 100 is not mentioned......

Lorianne said...

I am doing the Goofy challenge for the first time in January. I am very excited for it. I figure if I am going to travel from Canada to run Disney I should go all out!

T said...

Now you've got me seriously considering Goofy... dammit!

giraffy said...

Obvs I think you should do Goofy.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Clearly you should do the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100. It's in May each year. Most don't attempt it for the first 100 but I am not most so I am this year. But I know I will be back next year for a repeat...not matter how I do in 2012.

So friend, I invite you to see if you are up for a 100 in Virginia. It is sooo tough that we have a 36 hour limit.

Are you game?

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

http://www.vhtrc.org/mmt/index.htm

Lisa said...

Done Disney a few times w/ my husband having done Goofy as well. Great marathon weekend only the way Walt Disney World can do it :)

I'm flirting w/ my first ultra (a 50 in the Fall) so I can only imagine how you feel.

I frequent Vermont quite a bit due to business and it's gorgeous there. Just sayin.....:)

Good luck w/ your decision!

John said...

Still haven't decided what to do :( No not the 100 miler of course but the Goofy thing.
We'll talk sunday.

Patrick said...

http://www.vermont100.com/

Patrick said...

and what about 100km of Millau (France) The most beautifulle 100 km in France

Silly Girl Running said...

I knew you'd agree with me on this one, Patrick. :)